top of page

Housing Options

Domestic abuse not only affects how you feel and how you live your life but it can also affect where you live and who you live with. Deciding what options are open and right for you and/or your children can be difficult and confusing. 


Housing issues can sometimes seem like a reason to stay or return to the relationship even if you don’t want to. We support you to decide what housing options are right for you and work with other agencies to help find you somewhere safe to stay. 


Deciding to leave or end an abusive relationship is the most dangerous time so it is important that you have a plan so that even in an emergency you know where you can go and what to take. Please click for further information on Safety Planning.


You may have moved out and be staying with friends and family temporarily or your partner may have moved out but you are scared that they may come back. Call us to discuss your individual situation. 


You might recognise the situations above, the information in this link details some housing options open to those experiencing domestic abuse. 


Sanctuary Scheme


The Sanctuary Scheme is designed to help anyone experiencing domestic abuse to stay safely within their own homes. Through the Sanctuary Scheme anyone who no longer lives with their partner can receive help to have security measures installed that will make them and/or their children safer. Security measures can include:


  • Lock changes or fitting additional locks to windows and doors

  • Purchasing mobile phones or credit

  • Installing a safe room within the home to provide added protection should the abuser attempt to return to the property


Installation of security measures will be carried out following a security assessment of your home by a police Crime Reduction Officer and fire & rescue service Risk Manager. Although the police are required to carry out the assessment it is not necessary to report the abuse to them to receive support via the Sanctuary Scheme.

The scheme is co-ordinated by ESDAS in partnership with Surrey Police, Surrey Fire & Rescue Service, Mole Valley District Council, Reigate & Banstead Borough Council, Tandridge District Council, Raven Housing Trust and Circle Housing Mole Valley. Call us to find out more 01737 771350.


Contact Details for your Local Authority Housing Department 


Mole Valley District Council

Opening hours:           Monday-Friday 8.30am-5pm. 
Phone:                         01306 870614 / 879213 / 879210 



Reigate & Banstead Borough Council

Opening hours:           Monday to Thursday 8.45am- 5pm, Friday 8.45am- 4.45pm. 
Phone:                         01737 276790


Tandridge District Council

Opening hours:           Monday-Thursday 8.30am- 5pm, Friday 8.30am- 4.30pm.
Phone:                         01883 73281 or 7322824



Other support and advice



Shelter give housing advice for anyone with housing problems

Telephone:    0808 800 4444




ESDAS means to me 








The calm in a storm,

Give you hope when you feel hopeless.

Give you strength when you feel weak.

Listen to you, believe you and save you.

A Survivor

bottom of page